Associate Professor, Faculty of Education (Home)
Centre Researcher, >Centre for Education Research & Innovation (CERI) 2010-present
Acting Associate Director, Centre for Education Research & Innovation (CERI) 2012-2013
Cross Appointment: Department of Medical Imaging
Department of Women’s Studies and Feminist Research, Faculty of Arts and Humanities and Faculty of Social Science
Health Professions Education, Health and Rehabilitation Sciences Graduate Program, Faculty of Health Sciences
Research Fellow, Centre for Education Research & Innovation (CERI) 2011-2012
My research interests include the 'scholarship of teaching and learning' (Boyer, 1990), the pedagogy of multiliteracies (The New London Group, 2000) communities of professional practice (Lave & Wenger, 1991), and the pedagogical potential of e-learning and mobile technologies. In particular, my interests lie in looking at the policies, decisions and practices surrounding learning environments that stimulate and engage educators' intellectual curiosity. I am keenly interested in what we, as educators, can achieve in participatory encounters with learners. I am interested in sociocultural approaches to literacy that first ask 'What is the nature of literacy in this setting' and then critical and feminist approaches that help us to see and understand whose interests are served, what assumptions are at play and the consequences involved.
Selected Research Projects
A few of the projects I have recently been working on are,
- collaborating with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Division of Human Health (NAHU) to investigate the impact of e-learning and m-learning programs we have developed for member states, funded by the IAEA with Dr. Soveacha Ros;
- leading a project investigating 'Communication for Health: An Interdisciplinary Approach to a Complex Problem funded by the Centre for Education Research and Innovation, Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry with co-investigator Dr. Lorelei Lingard;
- leading a project investigating Interdisciplinary Graduate Student Supervision, funded by an Education Cluster Grant with collaborators Dr. Lorelei Lingard, Dr. Meredith Vanstone, Dr. Anne Kinsella, Dr. Pam McKenzie, Dr. Alan Pitman & Dr. Tim Wilson;
- collaborating with Dr. Roz Stooke (PI) on a Graduate Student Writing research project, funded by the Faculty of Education and the Teaching and Learning Support Centre;
- leading an investigation of scholarship in medical education across Canada with the support of an Academic Development New Research and Scholarly Initiative Award: Major Grant;
- leading a research and development team designing digital interactives to enhance the literacies of Canadian youth in the area of managing their personal finances (funded by the not-for-profit Investor Education Fund);
- leading an investigation into research methodologies that may better capture multiliteracies through web-based social interaction networks (funded by SSHRC);
- participating in a BRIDGES project to develop educational resources for teachers working with women who are abused (PI: Susan Rodger, Collaborators, Rachel Heydon and Kathy Hibbert);
- participating in RURAL EDUCATION AND LITERACIES (REAL) RESEARCH NETWORK (PI Mike Corbett, Acadia & B. Green, Charles Sturt;).
Director of Continuing Teacher Education, Faculty of Education, University of Western Ontario.
Director, Centre of Education in Medical Imaging, Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry, University of Western Ontario.
In addition to my teaching and research, I have worked with students, instructors and faculty in the fields of education, medicine, health sciences, policing and construction technology to develop pedagogical expertise in both the on-site and virtual environments.