Associate Professor, Faculty of Education (Home)
Centre Researcher, Centre for Education Research & Innovation (CERI) 2010-present
Cross Appointment: Department of Medical Imaging
Department of Women’s Studies and Feminist Research, Faculty of Arts and Humanities and Faculty of Social Science
Health Professions Education, Health and Rehabilitation Sciences Graduate Program, Faculty of Health Sciences
Research Associate: Professional Practice, Education and Learning (ProPEL) Stirling University, Stirling, UK.
Research Fellow, Centre for Education Research & Innovation (CERI) 2011-2012
My research interests include the 'scholarship of teaching and learning' (Boyer, 1990), the pedagogy of multiliteracies (The New London Group, 2000) communities of professional practice (Lave & Wenger, 1991), and the pedagogical potential of e-learning and mobile technologies. In particular, my interests lie in looking at the policies, decisions and practices surrounding learning environments that stimulate and engage educators' intellectual curiosity. I am keenly interested in what we, as educators, can achieve in participatory encounters with learners. I am interested in sociocultural approaches to literacy that first ask 'What is the nature of literacy in this setting' and then critical and feminist approaches that help us to see and understand whose interests are served, what assumptions are at play and the consequences involved.
Selected Research Projects
A few of the projects I have recently been working on are,
- leading a 'cloud based' mulitliteracies project investigating opportunities to leverage technology to both tailor curricula to the user and also engage users in knowledge production and new processes to 'assess' literacy (with Dr. Sharon Rich, Dr. Jennifer Rowsell, Dr. Bill Cope, Dr. Mary Kalantzis and collaborator Dr. Luigi Iannacci);
- conducting a narrative analysis of the experiences of the first medical responders to the Fukushima nuclear accident; developing a curricular response and working with the responders at Fukushima Medical University to integrate the lessons learned into a reconceptualized 'Science Technology Society' curriculum;
- collaborating with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Division of Human Health (NAHU) to investigate the impact of e-learning and m-learning programs we have developed for member states, funded by the IAEA;
- partnering on a project investigating how knowledges circulate (patient, family, professional and 'non-human') in a busy clinical setting (Dr. Mark Goldzmidt, Dr. Sandy deLuca, Dr. Noreen Houda, Dr. Lisa Faden and Dr. Tara Fenwick);
- leading a project investigating Interdisciplinary Graduate Student Supervision, funded by an Education Cluster Grant with collaborators Dr. Lorelei Lingard, Dr. Meredith Vanstone, Dr. Anne Kinsella, Dr. Pam McKenzie & Dr. Tim Wilson;
- Participating on a team of researchers taking an arts-based approach to understanding surgeon's experiences of difficult surgeries (PI Dr. Sayra Christancho)
- conducting a narrative analysis of experiences and decisions of cancer patients in Cambodia (Dr. Soveacha Ros, Dr. Rethy Chhem);
- collaborating with Dr. Roz Stooke (PI) on a Graduate Student Writing research project, funded by the Faculty of Education and the Teaching and Learning Support Centre;
- leading an investigation of scholarship in medical education across Canada with the support of an Academic Development New Research and Scholarly Initiative Award: Major Grant;
- leading an investigation into research methodologies that may better capture multiliteracies through web-based social interaction networks (funded by SSHRC);
- participating in School Based Mental Health projects to (PI: Susan Rodger, Collaborators, Allan Leschied);
- participating in RURAL EDUCATION AND LITERACIES (REAL) RESEARCH NETWORK (PI Mike Corbett, Acadia & B. Green, Charles Sturt;).
Acting Associate Director, Centre for Education Research & Innovation (CERI) 2012-2013
Director of Continuing Teacher Education, Faculty of Education, University of Western Ontario.
Director, Centre of Education in Medical Imaging, Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry, University of Western Ontario.
In addition to my teaching and research, I have worked with students, instructors and faculty in the fields of education, medicine, health sciences, policing and construction technology to develop pedagogical expertise in both the on-site and virtual environments.